Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wind Power in the US


I just got back from vacation - we traveled from Northwest Indiana to the Eastern side of Tennessee. I was looking out the window for a fair part of the ride and am sad to report that I spotted a grand total of ONE (1) wind-powered turbine during the entire trip. The one that I did see looked a bit small and pathetic as well. I would have thought that oil prices up at around $150 a barrel would have already led to a massive investment in wind and solar power, and possibly nuclear. Not so much, it seems.

Also when we got to Tennessee we read about the latest coal-related environmental disaster:


Q&A: Examining The Tennessee Coal Ash Spill (NPR)


So it doesn't look like "clean coal" is really very clean (just talk to some of the folks from this part of the country). We still have a long way to go, it seems.

No comments: